Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Holiday Thoughts

On my long train ride from New York City to Cleveland, Ohio, I had an ample amount of time to reflect on our modern idea of doing more in a shorter amount of time and whether this thinking is healthy for the human spirit or not. Right now I am of the opinion that doing less but with great enthusiasm is more important than getting more things done.

I have also been reflecting on this in my art work. It is easy to get caught in this idea that you need to produce more, make more, and try to sell more. However, the act of enjoying the process and letting your creative life grow and meander is also important.

So now I am in Ohio and I am in the process of finishing a shawl that I started in the Czech Republic two years ago. At this point it is almost finished but it has taken me two years to get it done! But that's not the point. The point is it has the same quality that an old friend acquires after years together. This shawl was with me through my first year of ESL teaching, traveled with me on the bus to Vienna, made a long journey on the plane back to the United States and will be a finished article of clothing that will come back to New York City to keep me warm at my current teaching job. And hopefully it will travel abroad with me again in the near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

All posted material is subject to U.S. copyright rules and regulations..